What is "The Rubber Room?" Simply put, "The Rubber Room" is a room where hundreds and hundreds of New York City schoolteachers presently sit, being paid full salary to do absolutely nothing. But, like so many things, it's not quite so simple... What Happens? Each year in New York City hundreds of schoolteachers are suspended. Their teaching privileges are temporarily, but indefinitely, revoked. Accused of a wide range and varying degrees of misconduct, these teachers are no longer allowed in the classroom. Instead, while awaiting a lengthy adjudication process, they are compelled to report to an off-campus location commonly referred to as The Rubber Room.
Read this newspaper article about it. Look at the trailer for a documentary film about the rubber-room. Look at the film's website. Listen to the radio broadcast on NPR's This American Life.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Terrible Tuesdays

I seem to be unfair and impatient with my colleagues here. To tell the truth, I am very grateful to the occupants of the room in which I sit because they welcomed me here fairly cordially. They're also decent folks considering how long they've been here. They're pretty quite folks and alternate between keeping to themselves and briefly interacting with one another, sharing stories and jokes. Nobody seems to lean to any extremes. I hope that I exude similar qualities as I site here amongst them. Slowly I feel that I am a part of the group. I suppose I can't argue against the brand of people that sit here in this room. I rate them of a higher caliber than it seems some others who come in to chat, or who walk by outside screaming and shouting.

I wonder why people aren't more honest with themselves and one another, and why stronger relationships of trust are not fostered. At work there is so much falseness and ingenuity that nobody will even discuss the full nature of the hostility present there. There is fear of the boss and supervisors and retribution. The boss and supervisors do not truly show respect to the staff and colleagues, although they do utter brief thanks and gratitude, it is only a show of words, with no expression of sincerity. I can only imagine the assumed power that is hoarded when one feels the feared obedience of those subservient. And likewise the disgust and nervousness at any revolt or resistance to oppression, which is the only path I can take as I cannot comply with such violation.

No comments: