What is "The Rubber Room?" Simply put, "The Rubber Room" is a room where hundreds and hundreds of New York City schoolteachers presently sit, being paid full salary to do absolutely nothing. But, like so many things, it's not quite so simple... What Happens? Each year in New York City hundreds of schoolteachers are suspended. Their teaching privileges are temporarily, but indefinitely, revoked. Accused of a wide range and varying degrees of misconduct, these teachers are no longer allowed in the classroom. Instead, while awaiting a lengthy adjudication process, they are compelled to report to an off-campus location commonly referred to as The Rubber Room.
Read this newspaper article about it. Look at the trailer for a documentary film about the rubber-room. Look at the film's website. Listen to the radio broadcast on NPR's This American Life.

Monday, May 14, 2007

New Contact

I spoke with the UFT representative that is assigned to my case today when they finally telephoned me. I have difficulty in not feeling foolish when I share the details of my case. Quite frankly, it is embarrassing. I wonder what will happen if I just disappear? What if I went away and never came back? maybe then I wouldn't be missed? Then they wouldn't have to get rid of me, I'll already be gone. I wonder where I can go to escape and find appreciation, or at least pleasant treatment. Maybe I can't go anywhere? Maybe I just have to be by myself? I'm trying to find inspiration within and without myself. Again, I am pondering whether this is something that I should fight, that is worth fighting, or whether I ought to just concede and admit defeat, take my losses and move on. Surely this universal principle of a life-battle is one that we all must face at various points in our lives. I'm reminded of how I am erasing my experience in the emergency room because of how horrible it was to be there. I feared dearly for my life and I would have traded away anything to have that pain stopped. Perhaps I must now consider whether this is what the universe has in store for me, to have me surrender my job and go elsewhere to do something else, which I may not have otherwise chosen to do of my own volition. Is this a test? Is life a test? Or is this a consequence of choices which dictate how we live our lives? I'm also reminded of a couple I know, who have three autistic children, the third of whom they had to give away for adoption. Did they choose that?

No comments: